Major works on the $400 million Market Square project will commence in June following Council supporting changes to the project’s design.
ICD Property and the City of Adelaide have re-affirmed their commitment to deliver the Market Square project and Adelaide Central Market expansion with major works to commence in June.
Market Square – a project of national significance showcasing the very best of South Australian produce through the expanded Market – will feature design changes resulting from the design process including:
- Relocation of residential car parks to the basement to improve car park access
- Increased loading zones within the basement to support traders
- A lowering of the podium rooftop space from level 5 to level 4
- The introduction of retail balconies on the Grote Street façade
- An increase in the commercial office space to now offer some 20,000m2 and an additional 21 apartments with the overall height of Grote Street tower to increase by two storeys
Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith said it was pleasing the start date for work is locked in for a project that will deliver a $135 million boost to the South Australian economy.
“While there is a further financial contribution from Council, it is not unusual given the challenges facing the construction sector globally, and Council’s contribution reflects the increased costs in the sector,”
– Adelaide Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith